Degree Type: Bachelor of Arts
Requirements (30 hours/credits)
- Students must earn a C- or higher in all courses that make up the major.
- Students may not take courses pass/fail unless the course is graded solely on a pass/fail basis.
- 600-level courses will not count towards the B.A. degree in Linguistics unless these courses are being used towards an honors degree
- To receive honors credit for a 600-level course, please email the undergraduate advisor.
- Credits may be counted only once toward a degree.
- Students majoring in linguistics and minoring in cognitive science may not use the same courses towards both, with the exception of LING 101.
- Students double majoring in linguistics and cognitive science may not use the same courses towards both degrees, with the exception of LING101.
All of the Following, 12 Credits
|LING 101: Introduction to Linguistics||Take 1st Term in Major||Fall, Spring, Winter|
|LING 202: Science of Language||Pre-Req: LING101||Fall, Spring, Winter|
|LING 403: Introduction to Phonology||Pre-Req: LING 202||Each Fall|
|LING 404: Structure of Language||Pre-Req: LING 101||Each Spring|
Semantics: One of the Following, 3 Credits
|LING 418: Meaning and Language Use||Pre-Req: LING 101||Every other Fall|
|CGSC 490: Philosophy of Language||||Every other Fall (alternates with LING 418)|
Capstone: One of the Following, 3 Credits
|LING 401: Historical Linguistics||Pre-Req: LING 101||Every other Fall|
|LING 471: Discovering Human Language||Pre-Req: LING 101||Every other Spring|
|LING 480: Sociolinguistics||Pre-Req: LING101 and 202||Each Spring|
|CGSC 485: Seminar in Cognitive Science|||||
Restricted Electives: 12 Additional Credits drawn from LING or courses cross-listed with LING, or courses from the following list: PHIL 205 Logic, CGSC 170 Introduction to Cognitive Science, CGSC 485 Seminar in Cognitive Science, CGSC 490 Philosophy of Language. Six credits must be 300-level or above.
Note: The course used to satisfy the major's Capstone requirement cannot simultaneously count towards the Restricted Electives requirement.
LING BA Progress and Planning Form.pdf